Thursday, June 9, 2011

And the excitement returns.

I've finally found decided what time I should wake up in the morning if I want to make it to the hospital on time: 6:40am.

I leave the hotel at 7, reach Wawasan Terminal (by foot) at 7:20, and the bus will get me to Queen by 7.45am. Still 15 minutes early :D

Well instead of hanging around at the discussion room like we always do, we decided to go to the department earlier... And no prizes for you if you manage to guess what we did. Because if you guessed it correctly, then it's because you saw the pictures before reading this paragraph =P
Queen Elizabeth Hospital old folks home comercial XD

Today we shall observe two patients: Patient A took estacy pills and patient B has RA.

Norzie looking kinda goofy while me acting like some sick old man.

We're not only posing as orang cacat... Even our poses are cacat...

Norzie getting ready to practice ballet I think.

Norzie looks like she slipped while relearning how to walk.

So today was the day I was suppose to switch to the medical section while the juniors go to the orthopedic section and I kinda forgot about it. Got used to being in the orthopedic section.

The medical lab is much livelier, more patients and we were allowed to do more than just sit and watch. Ms Racheal (Yes, got it right this time... She was like "OH GOD I'm still very young" when I called her Mdm) was in charge of handling us, and she gave us the task of establishing rapport with the patients. Well, I like her more than Mdm Lena, not because there's anything wrong with Mdm Lena, but Mdm Lena is more of a "watch and learn and I'll explain it to you later" kind of person and Ms Racheal is more of a "Do you know how to do this? Then do it" kinda of person. Both are good, except that En Zainuddin and Pn Azizah have taught me well enough to not have to learn much in posting, and that is why the previous 3 days were boring, because I didn't learn much. Today however, I had the task of establishing rapport with a patient, who was an old chinese lady of hakka descent, and I managed to do quite well (probably due to the language, but still, I wish I could speak hakka, because I'm not used to speaking to old people in mandarin) and was really enjoying it before I was told to go to study the MMSE and apply it to the Sg Buloh juniors later.

The Mini Mental State Exam (MMSE) form.

Time flies, and not long later it was lunchtime. After lunch we hung out at the discussion room as usual.

Finally found the source to the weird smell in the room.

Senior's presentation schedule.

Then it was back to our jobs again... It's not actual work though.

Stnly says that she's walking like a zombie XD

Tata watching Stnly fooling around with the portable toilet bowl. No wonder she's covering her nose.

I hung out at my own section after dreaming of what I want for my own department in the future before another patient came, and the seniors decided to introduce him to me, because he's from Kedah. Another establish rapport mission, but this time, I got my best weapon: Hokkien :D

No, I'm not from the Hokkien clan (or tribe or whatever), but my hokkien is good enough to communicate with old folks, and they talk better in hokkien than in mandarin. So we talked about his family, life in KK, and a lot of other things. We both reached a conclusion about Chinese food in KK: It's expensive and lousy. Well, my experience in KK chinese food is just as much as one meal of bak kut teh, but since Kedah is almost exactly like Penang (look at it as a more rural and kampung Penang in the early 1990s... Kedah maju 2010 -.-) and the tastebuds of Kedahans and Penangites are similar, I guess I can trust his judgement. Although he said that there is decent Chinese food in Beverly Hills at half the price of KK (Johor price. KK Chinese food prices is like double the price of Johor Chinese food). Well, guess I won't be touching any Chinese food as long as I'm in KK. The hawker food here is very nice and the nasi campur at the lowest floor of CP looks extremely wonderful though. I think I'll just stick to hawker food then.

Well turns out this old man has rheumatoid arthritis, and he was complaining to me about his difficulties and all, how hard it is for him to hold his toothbrush when he brushes his teeth, and how hard it is for squeeze the toothpaste, turn doorknobs, buttoning his shirt and climb down the staircase in his house. I managed to solve 1 problem in the end. I didn't want to sound too cocky by suggesting to the therapist that we should have the diameter of the toothbrush increased, so I asked Stnly if it was a possible solution, and Stnly (yes, his name is spelled that way) agreed, and just so happened Pn Siti heared us and agreed as well and advised the man to bring his toothbrush and anything that he needs to hold to the department and they will help him modify it. 1 problem solved :D But there are still other problems though. Not trying to be skema here, but all the OT trainees out there who are reading this blog, what else can we do for his other problems?

This case has taught me a few important things:
1. Language is important. As OT's it would be great if we could be multilingual. Clients are more comfortable interacting with us and we can learn more things from the patient.
2. Be casual during interviews. Information comes most easily if you use casual talk than interrogating like a police. You can even be led by patients to affected areas of the patients life which never crossed your mind.
3. Don't see them as clients, see them as friends. But that doesn't mean you can get all buddy and start exchanging phone numbers and ask for each other's facebook profile. Professionalism is still required. But talk to them like you're talking to a friend, and not look away every now and then in between questions. Clients are much more willing to share details to friends than to the-whateveryoucallyourself-rapist who interview them just because they have to...

Took a huge chunk of my time there, but it was very satisfying and educational. After that I went over to the orthopedic department, where everyone (including my group members) was hanging out. This was what I saw:

In case you didn't know, that's our wax bath treatment. If I'm not wrong it's for pain relieve, and can be substituted with a hot pack (not sure if this is more effective, but it sure is more fun :D)

Norzie and Sherlyn posing after "waxing" their hands.

Joined the fun as well :D

Lol this looks something like the 3 musketeers or something.

Tata didn't try it out though...

Us and the Sg Buloh students. Our uniforms look the same here.

I told her I'd sue her for using my trademark lol...

Everyone waiting for the wax to cool off.

And then it was time to take off the wax.

Sherlyn was the first among us 3 to take hers off.

Then Norzie.

And finally me.

Wait a minute... Noticed anyone missing? Yea, I didn't notice it too until Safhrenis showed up. She disappeared because she went for her observation rounds in the paeds rooms. She had her waxing moments as well.

And that was the end of the most interesting day of my placement in Queen Elizabeth Hospital. There's still one more day to go. Kinda wish I could stay longer.

After a long day of work (and excitement), it's time to satisfy my stomach. I headed straight to Bella Italia from the hospital. Ok, so it's not actually straight. I had to get off the bus at Wawasan bus terminal and withdraw money from the BSN behind my hotel (they dispense RM100 notes!) before going to Bella Italia. One look at the interior tells me that the place is pretty posh.

A badly taken photo of the walls outside of Bella Italia.

The entrance. You'd miss it if you weren't looking.

View from my table. I love the way they design the place.

Behind the doorway...

The counter. There's a bar on the other side of the wall, but I didn't notice it until I walked out.

Looks kinda blurry without flash.

A pretty worn out me in Bella Italia.

But one look at the menu told me that this is not the Bella Italia that I know - They only serve pizza and pasta for the main course.

Service wasn't that fast at first, because the only waiter I could see walking around was serving a table of foreign tourist. And the other waiters were hardly seen (not unseen, just hardly seen). Probably should have expected that since I asked for a table for one and wore a black jacket with a jata negara, which probably stated that I am not rich and I can afford Italian because I just got my pay (hello~ 25th is so far away~). After ordering my food, the waitress asked if I'd like to have them served by course or all at once, which of course, was a dumb question. Usually locals have them all at once, but I have my standards. Then after that I had 5 star service for the entire night, although I had to ask for skyjuice.

Appetizer: Caesar Salad (RM18.00)
When it came I was like, what the, where's the croutons? Is that garlic bread suppose to substitute the croutons? And what are those brown strips?
When I popped it into my mouth, I was like, what the hell? This ain't Caesar salad. This is salted fish mixed with vegetables and Tuna Spread. No eggs? Damn all that saltiness is going to get me dehydrated again. And it taste more like mayo than Worcestershire sauce. Couldn't they at least use thousand island?
And that was quite a suffering dish for me, stuffing down the salty mass. Found out from the waiter that the brown strips are anchovies (ikan bilis). Who the hell puts anchovies in Caesar Salad? I was hoping the next one wouldn't disappoint me.

Main Course: Linguini Carbonara (RM26.00)
With my mouth cleaned from that salty mass by the skyjuice, I took on the Linguini Carbonara. Made a mistake in ordering turkey ham instead of beef though.
When it came I was like, okay, so this looks decent......... Hey, wait a minute, looks like it's either baked or got heated up in the microwave 0_o... The chef probably made it earlier but heated it before serving because it cooled down. It's justified though.
When I popped it into my mouth, I was like, okay so this is a disappointment. It's not as inedible as the Caesar Salad, but the cream wasn't thick enough and the taste was mild. I can make better pasta than that if I got more materials other than pasta, salt and soy sauce. Then it was desert.

Dessert: Tiramisu (RM12.00)
Okay this is cheaper than it's Pulau Tikus counterpart, so I forgive it's smaller size.
When it came I was like, okay, this looks soooo small. But there's nothing wrong with it.
When I put it into my mouth, I was like, okay, so it taste decent. Less cocoa powder than the one at Pulau Tikus, but still forgivable. Could taste a little bit of liquor. It's probably the most satisfying dish among the 3, although I would still prefer the Tiramisu of Bella Italia Pulau Tikus.

Last of all is my drink. I ordered coffee? Nope. It's a cocktail. What they served cocktail at the end of the 3 course meal? Nope. It was the first to arrive. I just left it last. After all, it was the best of all four. I actually asked for a recommendation, and the waiter was like "um..." before blurting out "Blue Angel". So Blue Angel it was, and she's quite lucky.

Drinks: Blue Angel Cocktail (RM19.90)
Cream, brandy, curacao liquor, lemon juice, vanilla liqueur are the usual ingredients for this thing. First time I'm having it though. I'm going to review this just like I reviewed the other dishes.
When it came I was like, okay, this looks interesting. Light yellow on top and blue at the bottom. After stirring it (you're suppose to stir it), it turns into a light blueish aqua kinda look.
When I took my first sip (can't put it in my mouth lol), I was like, really sweet, and tasty. Alcohol content is very weak, although detectable, and the drink has a pleasant flavour where the taste of the alcohol is not too strong or weak (too weak will make it taste like mocktails). I'd say it's the best thing in the restaurant lol.

And my day outside ended at around 7pm today, because I had an early dinner. But I've been at the computer typing out this post since 8pm, and I'm more than 20 minutes overdue lol. Well, thanks for reading this ultra long post. Time to bathe (yes, I haven't bathed since morning) and go to sleep. This is Terfu, signing off~

No comments:

Post a Comment